Baja-Alaska Halibut Sandwich
- 4 Alaska Halibut fillets (4 to 6 oz. each), fresh or thawed
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup regular or low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 sandwich rolls, split
- 1/2 cup roasted poblano chiles, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 8 tomato slices
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
Marinade: Season Alaska Halibut fillets with kosher salt, black pepper and 2 teaspoons cumin; place in 9×13-inch pan. Whisk together oil, lime juice and garlic; pour mixture over halibut; turn halibut to coat all sides. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before using.
Cumin Tartar Sauce: In small mixing bowl, blend mayonnaise, relish, mustard, one teaspoon cumin and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Heat a ridged stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove halibut fillets from marinade; place in heated pan and cook, uncovered, about 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Shake pan occasionally to keep fish from sticking. Turn fillets over and cook just until fish is opaque throughout, about 4 minutes.
- Griddle (or toast in oven) cut side of rolls until golden. Spread cut side of each roll bottom with two tablespoons of tartar sauce. Layer with 2 tablespoons roasted chiles, a halibut portion, 2 tomato slices, and 1/4 cup cilantro leaves; cover with roll tops.
Cook’s tip: Alaska Halibut fillets can also be broiled, grilled or baked.
Nutrients per serving: 678 calories, 31g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 41% calories from fat, 45mg cholesterol, 39g protein, 62g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 1188mg sodium, 167mg calcium and 720mg omega-3 fatty acids.